present: The University of Sharjah, Sharjah - UAE
Chairman and Associate Professor of Civil
Chairman of the
Department of Civil Engineering and Acting Dean over several
periods. Responsible for teaching undergraduate courses and
serving on a variety of committees. Restructured Civil Engineering
Curriculum to meet local and ABET2000 accreditation criteria.
Established MSc Program. Prepared strategic plans for Department
and College. Founded CETimes, Civil Engineering Newsletter
(Editor). Founded Civil Engineering Club. Developed Online Civil
Engineering courses. Designed College Web site.
- Introduction to Engineering
- Geotechnical Engineering 1
- Geotechnical Engineering 2 and Laboratory
- Foundation Engineering
- Advanced Foundation Engineering
- Senior Design Project I and II
1. University Web site; 1999-present
2. Year Book Committee, 2000-2001
3. Student and Faculty Research Award Committee, 2000
4. Selection Committee for Bank of Sharjah Award, 2000
5. Committee on Evaluating UOS Drainage, 2001
1. College Web Designer and Editor; 1999-present
2. College Brochure, 1999-present
3. Curriculum Committee, 1999-present
4. Chair, Accreditation Committee [International (ABET) and
5. Program Advisory Committee, 2000-present
6. Graduate Studies & Research Committee, 2000-present
7. Undergraduate Studies Committee, 2000-present
1. Undergraduate Studies Committee, 2000-present
2. Graduate Studies & Research Committee, 2000-present
3. Accreditation Committee [International (ABET) and Local],
4. Department Promotion Committee, 2000-present
5. Department Council, 2000-present
6. Department Recruitment Committee, 2000-present
7. Laboratory Committee, 2000 - present
1. Strategic Plan of the Department and College
2. Accreditation issues and documentations
3. Department Semi- and Annual Reports
4. Preparing Student Statistics and forecast future numbers for
5. Participated in School visits for recruiting students
6. Initiating Civil Engineering Times, The Civil Engineering News
Magazine (Dec. 2001). Currently Editor
7. Establishing the Civil Engineering Club at the Department of
8. Establishing the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) -
|1995 - 1999:
Sultan Qaboos University (SQU), Muscat, Oman
Associate Professor of Civil Engineering
teaching undergraduate courses, supervising graduation projects
and serving on a variety of committees. Established and Designed
SQU's and The College of Engineering web sites.
- Introduction to Computing
- Probability & Statistics for Engineers
- Foundation Engineering
- Civil Engineering Design
- Drawing II (AutoCad)
- Senior Project
1. Economics of Alternative Designs of Retaining Structures on a
2. Statistical Geotechnical Properties of Clayey Soils
3. Stabilization of Omani Expansive Clays by Sand and Salt
4. Direct Shear vs. Triaxial Shear Strength Properties of Soils
5. Computer Aided Design for Pile Foundations
6. Strength Characteristics for Lime and Cement Treated Omani
7. Variation of Basic Soil Properties With Drying Temperature
8. Mapping The Bearing Capacity of Soils in the Muscat Region
1. Staff Club Committee, 1995-1996; 1997-1999
2. Masters of Statistics Committee, 1997
3. Chair, University Web Committee, 1998-1999
1. Coordinator of Alumni Association, 1996-1999
2. College Board Committee, 1997-1998
3. Promotion Committee, 1997-1998
4. Research Committee, 1997-1998
5. Chair, College Web Committee, 1998-1999
1. Promotion Committee, 1995-1999
2. Examination Audit Committee, 1996 - 1999
3. Coordinator of Seminars and Publicity, 1997-1998
4. Accreditation Committee, 1997-1999
5. Coordinator of Final Year Projects, 1997-1998
6. Graduate Studies Committee, 1997-1999
7. Curriculum Committee, 1997-1999
8. Time-tabling Representative, 1998-1999
|1986 - 1995:
Jordan University of Science. & Technology, Irbid -
Associate Professor of Civil Engineering, 1992-1995
Assistant Professor of Civil Engineering, 1986-1992
for teaching undergraduate and graduate courses, supervising
graduation projects and Masters Theses and serving on a variety of
committees. Established Geotechnical Engineering Laboratory.
Established MSc Program in Geotechnical Engineering.
- Engineering Drawing
- Strength of Materials - Probability & Statistics for Civil
- Soil Mechanics I
- Soil Mechanics Laboratory
- Foundation Engineering I
- Foundation Engineering II
1. An Investigation into Soil Expansion in Irbid
2. Investigation of Seepage Problem at Wadi Arab Dam
3. Study of Seepage loss in Wadi Arab Dam
4. Reducing Foundation Seepage Under Earth Dam at JUST
5. Seepage Simulation Under a Concrete Dam Model
6. Seepage Simulation Through and under an Earth Dam Model
7. Seepage Simulation Under a double sheet Pile Model
8. Design of an Embankment Dam at JUST
9. Experimental Modeling of Foundation Uplift Due to Swelling
- Theoretical Soil Mechanics
- Slopes and Earth Structures
- Retaining Structures
- Advanced Soil Mechanics
- Applied Statistics
MS Theses Supervised
Statistical Evaluation of Soil Properties in Eastern Irbid. Saheem
Kamel, May 1988. 187 pp.
Evaluation and Control of Expansive Soils in Irbid. Munjed Al-Sharif,
May 1989. 189 pp.
Shear Strength of Compacted Jordanian Soils. Wehbi Abdel-Jawad,
Jan. 1991. 139 pp.
Control of Collapsible Jordanian Soils. Riad Qozak, Apr. 1991. 146
Cyclic Swelling of Expansive Soils. Mohamad Bashabshi, May 1991.
Strength of Weakly Cemented Reinforced Sands. Malek Al-Smadi, May
1991. 198 pp.
Anisotropic Swelling Behavior of Expansive Soils. Nabil Al-Akhras,
May 1992. 89 pp.
Behavior of a Model Footing on Expansive Soils. Mohamad Al-Ajlouni,
Dec. 1992. 130 pp.
Effect of the Method of Drying on the Engineering Properties of
Emad Al-Tabari, Dec. 1993. 107
10. Dynamic Modelling of Low and High Velocity Projectile
Penetration of Soil.
Nadim Shbib, May 1994. 148 pp.
11. Use of Dynamic Cavity Expansion to Determine Pile Capacity:
Probabilistic and Theoretical Approach.
Raffi Babayan, Mar. 1995. 102
12. An Experimental Evaluation of Pullout Tests on Reinforced
Adnan Zaidan, July 1995, 129
In addition to serving on over 15 MSc theses examining committees.
1. Geotechnical Engineering Team (KAH), Coordinator; 1994-1995.
2. Transportation Research Group, 1990-1992.
1. Scientific Research Committee, 1992-1993.
2. Computers Committee, 1992-1993.
3. Faculty of Engineering Council, 1993-1994.
1. Scientific Research Committee, 1987-1989; 1994-1995.
2. Computers Committee, 1986-1988; Coordinator, 1986-1987
3. Geotechnical Engineering Group, 1990-1993; Coordinator,
4. Graduate Studies Group, 1989-1990; 1994-1995.
5. Curriculum Committee, 1986-1988; 1994-1995.
6. Laboratory Committee, 1987-1989; 1994-1995.
7. Promotion Committee, 1992-1995; Coordinator, 1995.
8. Honor Council, Coordinator 1994-1995.
|1981 - 1986:
The University of Mississippi, Oxford, MS, U.S.A
Full time lecturer, 1985-1986
Instructors of Civil Engineering, 1981-1985
for teaching undergraduate courses
- Surveying I
- Soil Mechanics Laboratory
- Mechanics of Materials
- Structural Engineering Laboratory
- Soil Mechanics
- Engineering Mechanics
- Engineering Graphics II
- Computer Simulation